Samba have wait-times

Andre Klocke andre.klocke at stb-datenservice.de
Wed Dec 19 02:04:19 GMT 2001

Hallo.

Our Samba Server is used to provide a DOS program that uses the DOS database btrieve.
Sometimes the opening and using of these programs is very slow. There seem to come no data from the server. The programm has very much files in one directory (ca. 50.000). Is this a problem?

the opening of a program "sleeps" sometimes for 1 Minute. If we put the windows into the background and start the program a secound time it runs in normal speed while the other program ist still waiting.

I Do not know what to do!

Here is our smb.conf:

[global]
 workgroup = TEST
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 map to guest = Bad User
 null passwords = Yes
 keepalive = 10
 logon script = login.bat
 domain logons = Yes
 os level = 128
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY
 preferred master = Yes
 domain master = Yes
 local master = Yes
 security = user
 wins support = Yes
 kernel oplocks = yes
 oplock break wait time = 10
 time server = Yes
 log level = 4
 printing = lprng
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /dev/false -M %u
 character set = ISO8859-1
 client code page = 850

[prog]
 path = /data/prog