Machine Trust Accounts

Antony Healey antony at cit.uws.edu.au
Tue Dec 18 14:43:09 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up Samba 2.2.2 as a PDC and the boss has been reasonably impressed with it.

An issue that we've come up against is machine trust accounts. Our PC labs (running W2k) are rebuilt nightly or on demand via Rembo. This is done to keep a clean and consistant install on the machines at all times.

I suspect that this will cause the trust account relationship (passwording between the client and PDC) to break each time a rebuild happens and no-one will be able to log in. Am I right in this assessment (we haven't converted a lab to test yet), and if so, is there a way around it?

Also, is there a way to turn off machine trust accounts on the Samba PDC? I haven't found a reason for their absolute necessity as yet.

Apologies if this has been covered extensively before, pointers to source material would be appreciated.

Regards,
Antony.
-----
Unix Systems Administrator
School of Computing & IT
University of Western Sydney
Phone: (02) 4736 0771
Fax: (02) 4736 0770

Programmer (n): One who makes the lies the salesman told come true.

She said she had nothing to wear. I smiled.