File being modified---win2k and solaris8

David Moruzzi david.moruzzi at babcockbrown.com
Tue Dec 18 13:57:02 GMT 2001

I have been working with Samba 2.2.0 on Solaris 8 and have hit a major
problem when users accessing files from the server.

A 'FILE RESERVATION' warning pops---in Windows 2000--up with an error saying
that the "File.xyz is being modified by USER---where user is the last person
to have opened the file---usually the same person opening it.

I have tried turning of oplocks and kernel locks in the Global section of
the smb.conf:

[global]
        client code page = 437
        workgroup = XYZ
        server string = San Francisco File Server
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = sfprinters, nyprinters
        passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd %u
        log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
        local master = No
        wins server = xx.xx.xx.xx
        kernel oplocks = No
        create mask = 0666
        directory mask = 0777
        oplocks = No

This does not seems to work.

Also I have been unable to get the log file to use the %m variable and
create a separate file for each client---does solaris need to be set a
certain. Are these bugs of 2.2.0. I have stopped and started the smbd
service several times, but the new settings do not seem to take effect---I
have done this using SWAT and /etc/init.d/samba.server is there another way
to get samba to recognize changes in smb.conf?

I have found a few postings on the web about this, but no answers.

Thanks for the help.

This email message may contain information that is confidential and
proprietary to Babcock & Brown or a third party.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy the original and
any copies of the original message.  Babcock & Brown takes measures to
protect the content of its communications.  However, Babcock & Brown cannot
guarantee that email messages will not be intercepted by third parties or
that email messages will be free of errors or viruses.