Missing users (who otherwise work fine)

Dylan Carlson dcarlson at 3path.com
Tue Dec 18 08:49:03 GMT 2001

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 11:35:40AM -0500, Dylan Carlson wrote:

Fixed my own problem... See below, thanks

> Greetings
>
> We have a situation where we're trying to add a user to his local
> Administrators group on a Win2K/SP2 box, and his account is not showing
> up in the list of users in the domain (neither are some other accounts).
>
> Interestingly, these users are not showing up in the file security
> dialogs either.  This seems like a new development (problem).
>
> The users are in the smbpasswd and NIS as they should be.
>
> The user accounts work fine in terms of their use on the domain.
> Logins and basic file operations seem to work without a problem.

We had some users who were in smbpasswd, but not in the NIS domain
anymore (obsolete user accounts) -- cleaning up the smbpasswd with
(smbpasswd -x) to match what we have in NIS seemed to immediately fix
the problem.

Cheers,
--
  Dylan Carlson  [dcarlson at 3path.com]