smbmount appears to subvert access permissions

Paul paulusm at altavista.com
Mon Dec 17 20:57:02 GMT 2001

Hi all,

(1) I wish to mount a SMB share onto my Linux filesystem.  When I mount the share, it modifies the permissions on the "mounting directory" allowing other users to gain access to the share, masquerading as the mounting user.  Lucky it doesn't give write access to anyone, but read access is bad enough.

Can anyone explain this behaviour?  (Example transcript provided below)

(2) I had originally wished to mount a share (shall we say 'home') and then allow individual users to access subdirectories under this share (eg 'home/user1', 'home/user2').  I had wanted individual users to operate under their own username, much like an NFS export.  I am aware that there may be a problem with the user's identity (since the user is going to need UID-remapping).  Is there anyway to achieve this goal?  I would have liked the users to keep their unix 'home directory' with their Windows home directory.

My thanks in advance,
Paul.

INFORMATION:
smbmount version: 2.0.7
smbd version: 2.0.7
debian potato (v2.2r2)

TRANSCRIPT FOR (1) ABOVE:
paul at vanity:~$ ls -ld /tmp/paul
drwxrwxrwx    2 paul     paul         4096 Dec 17 21:44 /tmp/paul
paul at vanity:~$ chmod go-rwx /tmp/paul
paul at vanity:~$ ls -ld /tmp/paul
drwx------    2 paul     paul         4096 Dec 17 21:44 /tmp/paul
paul at vanity:~$ mount /tmp/paul
paul at vanity:~$ ls -ld /tmp/paul
drwxr-xr-x    1 paul     paul          512 Dec 18 14:20 /tmp/paul
paul at vanity:~$ chmod go-rwx /tmp/paul
paul at vanity:~$ ls -ld /tmp/paul
drwxr-xr-x    1 paul     paul          512 Dec 18 14:20 /tmp/paul
paul at vanity:~$ umount /tmp/paul

http://www.shopping.altavista.com