Gigabit Samba

Anders Widman andewid at tnonline.net
Mon Dec 17 12:43:03 GMT 2001

2001-12-17 12:39:22, "Christian Barth" <barth at cck.uni-kl.de> wrote:

>> I'm trying to run Samba on a gigabit network.
>> On the server side I've got Samba 2.2.1 running on an sgi Origin200 with a
>> gigabit ethernet card plugged into a gigabit switch, and the files are being
>> served off a fibrechannel raid array.  On the client side I have a windows 2k
>> box with a gigabit card plugged into the same switch.  Both machines and the
>> switch claim that everything is running at 1Gb/s, yet file transfere doesn't
>> seem any faster than with fast ethernet.
>>
>> Is samba simply not able to serve up files at gigabit speeds or is there some
>> tweaking that needs doing to get it to do this, or is it simply some problem
>> with my network?
>Compare the samba speed with the speed of ftp, http, ...
>And: You may need a advanced PC hardware to get a big advantege from
>the gigabit network. Your network card is pluged into the PCI-bus of
>the PC and to my knowlage the standard PCI-bus is the bottleneck
>compared with a gigabit network.
>

>Christian

Well, I wouldn't say that. Most new style PC-hardware is fast enough. Sure.. The PCI-bus can only offer about 130MB/s that all PCI-devices need to use. Anyway, you should be able to get about 50% of that with a
fast RAID chain. Like the new 120 and 160GB hard drives from Maxtor. You can get a sustained transfer above 30MB/s from one of these, and they are only 5400rpm.

//Anders