Guest Account and Browsing

JEFFERY, Stuart Stuart.JEFFERY at eur.crowncork.com
Mon Dec 17 09:42:06 GMT 2001

I have just upgraded my Samba server from 2.0.4b to 2.2.2 on a Sun E450
running Solaris 2.6.
When the guest account value is set to nobody the browsing does not work. I
cannot see any thing under
the Network Neighbourhood.
When the guest account is set to root browsing works ok.

Could someone tell me exactly what permissions the guest account needs to
have?
What files does it need access to?
What Unix groups should the guest user be a member of?

I have looked at browsing.txt and browsing-config.txt but they only say
"Some people find browsing fails because they don't have the global
'guest account' set to a valid account".

Any help would be much appreciated as I don't want to leave the guest
account as root.

Thanks

Stuart Jeffery
PC Systems Admin
CarnaudMetalbox Engineering

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient or person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
you have received this communication in error and must not distribute or
copy it.  Please accept the sender's apologies, notify the sender
immediately by return e-mail and delete this communication.  Thank you.