[BUGS] winbindd maintainer? (was: Re: winbindd: local unix users vs. NTdomain users)

vda vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Mon Dec 17 03:55:11 GMT 2001

On Monday 17 December 2001 01:27, Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima wrote:
> > Local unix user myuser have uid 542 and home
> > directory /home/myuser.
> > Domain user MYDOMAIN+myuser have uid 10012 and
> > template home directory /smbhome/MYDOMAIN/myuser.
> >
> > Strange thing: after connect myuser into domain MYDOMAIN
> > from Windows2000 machine and connect into [homes] share
> > onto Samba server, this user get uid 10012 (as MYDOMAIN+myuser)
> > but his home directory is /home/myuser (as local unix user myuser).
> > But /home/myuser have owner uid 542, not 10012 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Do you actually NEED both sets of users.  If you have already
> got an account on the local machine the you don't need winbind at all.
> You need a simple awy to keep the NT accounts in sync with the Linux ones.
> If you would prefer to use winbinf then ditch the lcoal users accounts.
> If you have some strange reason for needing both then please explain it.

What he is describing is a bug. It does not matter for what weird and obscure
reason he wants two users.

It really looks like winbindd is useful thing but it's buggy at the moment.
I also observed two more bugs:

1. Inability to connect to shares on server which have winbindd running
2. Memory leaks (winbindd grows, was OOM killed on a box wit 32m ram+96m swap)

Who's maintaining it? I'd like to help with debugging.
--
vda