ANU style setup

Andrew andrew at donehue.net
Sun Dec 16 23:37:10 GMT 2001

Hi All,
        I am looking into setting up a highly restricted user setup.
Details as follows -:)

The client machines are going to be running a Win2k, and I am looking at
making it so that they log on with a user/pass which gives them access
to set programs - and they have a limited file space on a server.

Samba would be involved in this system in the following way.
1) Authentication - the first thing.
2) The file space on the server.
3)....

At the moment, I have some experience using samba at home and work, but
not for authenticating users.  I must also be able to log a user off
from the server (basically kick them) - is this possible from Samba??

Also, I am looking to Authenticate users from a MySQL database (there
will prolly be 5000+ users and 300 client machines). Is this possible?
(I don't want to have every user as a local system user....).

For those that are familiar with the ANU (Canberra - Australia), if you
have used the Win2K machines in the Moran building- you will prolly know
what I am talking about.

Cheers,
        Andrew.