Performance Benchmarks. Not good.

Steven Haigh netwiz at optushome.com.au
Sun Dec 16 21:07:02 GMT 2001

ok... in my last post to the list, I noted on how our company has given
samba a go for it's main file server, and that performance was very poor.
I'm in a last attempt to try and save the samba/linux box from being
replaced by a Win2k server.

Below is the waiting time (including Excel opening time) for one document.
The document is 22,016 bytes in size, and a native Excel 2000 format.

Below is the time in seconds that the document takes to open:

Samba Server            W2k Server
    32                                30            <-- first time excel is
loaded.
    14                                11
    24                                12
    23                                11
    25                                13
    15                                11

Why is this so?

below is the globals section of my smb.conf
[global]
   workgroup = Workgroup
   netbios name = matrix
   server string = Raid 5 Data Server
   load printers = no
   guest account = pcguest
   max log size = 50
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = yes
#   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes
   oplocks = true
   locking = yes
   wins server = 10.1.1.4
   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no

The rest of the shares are public and readable by everyone (mapped to the
linux fs as pcguest)

Surely there's something wrong. The linux benchmarks were very similar using
version 2.2.1a and 2.2.2

Signed,
Steven Haigh

Out the 100Base-T, off the firewall, through the router, down the T1,
over the leased line, off the bridge, nothing but Net.

The net will not be what we demand, but what we make it. Build it well.