win98 public share

Jeff Post postjeff at uwm.edu
Sun Dec 16 14:50:03 GMT 2001

Hello I have a three computer peer to peer network. 2 win98 machines and 1
Redhat Linux box.  I wish to share the /pub directory on the linux box
through samba with the win98 machines. I do not run any sort of
authentication on the win98 machines (anyone can sit down and use them).

I want both win98 machines to have read write access to the samba share of
/pub.
I have client IP and for microsoft networks installed on both win98
machines. All three machines are on the same subnet 192.168.0.*
/255.255.255.0

The samba server is visable in network neighborhood but I get an error
message when I try to see the shares on it.
(trying to map the shares directly does not work either)
the error is:
\\Comuptosbox is not accessable

I have loaded swat (and like it vary much), but still cant get things to
work.

what am I doing wrong?  I am unsure about:
who should own /pub
what file permissions /pub should have
is win98 setup correctly
is what I am trying to do possible with samba?
what users should be listed in the smbpasswd file

Thanks for any help that you can give

-Jeff Post
postjeff at uwm.edu

# Samba config file created using SWAT