smbsh error

Christian Thompson christian_thompson at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:50:02 GMT 2001

I am having a problem with smbsh. I get the following error after I enter my
username and password:

ERROR: can't get smbw shared lock (Invalid argument)

I am running linux 7.2 with samba 2.2.2.

The error message is produced from the function lockit(void) in
smbwrapper/shared.c.

The error originates in file lib/util.c in function:
fcntl_lock(shared_fd,SMB_F_SETLKW,0,1,F_WRLCK)
fcntl_lock calls: fcntl(8191, F_SETLKW) which sets errno = 22 (EINVAL).

The only thing I could find about this error number on this command is:

"cmd is F_GETLK, F_SETLK, or F_SETLKW, and arg.lockdes or the data it points
to is not valid,or fildes refers to a file that does not support locking."

Does anyone know how I can fix this (or some more hints on how to debug it)?

Thanks,

Christian