[Fwd: Re: No print to Samba (Linux) printer from Win98]

Michel Van den Bergh vdbergh at luc.ac.be
Sat Dec 15 10:52:05 GMT 2001

Mike Watson wrote:

> I don't have an explicit print command in my smb.conf.  Is that required?  All
> the examples I have do not have an explicit command.  Since I'm use lpr, I'll add
> that to my config and see how it works.
>
> BTW.  The Linux printer is an HP Deskjet 600.  Old but it still works---crispier
> than my wife's laser printer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike W

Are you using the Windows drivers?  If so then it is imperative that you
configure
a raw printer on the Linux side, i.e. one that does not run the file
through ghostscript

(see the printcap example below).

If you use cups (I suspect not), then you must use lpr -l -P%p %s
instead of lpr -P%p
%s.
The reason is that even if use define a raw printer under cups, it still
tries to parse
the
spool file and bails out if it does not recognize the file format (I
suspect this is a
bug).

Regards,
Michel