No print to Samba (Linux) printer from Win98

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Fri Dec 14 17:44:02 GMT 2001

Here is what I have in my smb.conf file for a linux printer accesses via
samba by windows clients.
The lp queue exists on the linux server. It is a raw queue, no filter.

[lp]
        comment = Raw Printer for Z53
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.
        printable = Yes
        printing = lprng
        print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
                       echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -Plp %j
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -Plp %j
        printer name = lp
        share modes = No

And here is my printcap:

lp|LP|z53-outfiles:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sh:rw:
The fancy print command captures J, the real file name, to display in the
queue. You could just use  /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  %s; rm %s as the print command.
Joel