Invinsible shares

Dominic Y. Deferia ddeferia at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 17:13:02 GMT 2001

Original question:

"  From: Julian Opificius <julianop at mninter.net>
Subject: Samba shares invisible to non valid users?

Is it possible to make shares not show up in a network directory listing if
they are not accessible to the current user? I have a share called
[parents] and I don't want it to even show up when my children are logged
in to the Win 98 machine. Access to the share is blocked via a "valid users
= +parents" line in smb.conf, but I'd rather the share didn't even show up.

Thnaks in advance,

Julian. "

Answer:

1. Yes . add this line to your share that you don't want to appear in network neighborhood:

    browseable = no

2. Then set up a login script for valid users that will access that share

   net use  driveletter:  \\server\invisibleshare

Regards,

Dominic