SUMMARY: "could not connect to host - localhost"

Ron Woodall nor at htmlcompendium.org
Fri Dec 14 13:34:05 GMT 2001

Hi All:

         I think I've finally nailed this one down. Here was the original
problem:

>         I'm running Mandrake 8.1 (downloaded) and the install went fine.
> Configuring Samba however is another story. I get the message "could not
> connect to host - localhost" on the Linux box. I cannot see the network
> from the Linux system. The Linux system is visable from Win'98SE as are
> the shares but I cannot access them "password is incorrect".
>
>         This does not appear to be a single problem but a combination of
> problems so any guidance would be appreciated. I've searched the faq with
> no results and read the DOCs and a bunch of other stuff and I'm into day
> 6 of frustration here.

         Needless to say, it took some time to "discover" the problem. I
use the name and IP address pairs in the lmhosts file and subsequently used
the IP address for all of the configuration parameters in the smb.conf
file. I use the local network addressing of 192.168.0.x .

         I appears, to my at any rate, that this version of Samba (smbd and
nmbd version 2.2.1a) used with the Mandrake Linux 8.1 (downloaded from the
Mandrake site in ISO format and burned on CDs locally), will not accept IP
addresses in the valid users = parameter in the smb.conf file. I changed
all of the share IP addresses to NetBios names and voila, everything worked
perfectly.

         Christopher suggested that I install Komba2, which I downloaded
but didn't get to the point of installing. I didn't need it.

         I thank Christopher Adams and Christian Barth for their assistance.

         Ron Woodall

Ron Woodall
nor at htmlcompendium.org

The Compendium of HTML Elements