guest user query

Bob Flynn bob.flynn at massana.com
Fri Dec 14 09:03:08 GMT 2001

Hi,

I am trying to setup a share with guest permissions for read only access (
On Samba on Redhat 6.2 Linux )

My problem is that that samba is querying the users for a username/password
even though the share is setup for guest access, and should override this.
The foolowing are some snippets of configuration regarding this;

1. smb.conf

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/pass
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
guest account = nobody

[test]
comment = Test share
path = /home/test
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
public = yes
writable = no

The unix account nobody exists.

I have upped the debug level to 3 and checked a connection. What occurs is
that Samba prompts the user for a username/password irrespective of the fact
that guest permissions are set on the share.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Tks,

-Bob

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email is private and confidential and may contain legally privileged
information. If you are not named above as an addressee it may be unlawful
for you to read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use the information
in this email. If you are not the intended recipient of this email please
contact our systems manager at postmaster at massana.com . Any views or
opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of the company or its associated companies unless otherwise
specifically stated.