Using MSDFS

marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us marion.haines at countygovt.brevard.fl.us
Fri Dec 14 08:36:03 GMT 2001

I've set up a dfs share according to instructions.  There is one part of the instructions that I don't understand.  I've checked the forum archives but can't find any examples which might help.

In the Instructions section (4.1 of the HTML Samba Project Documentation), is shows how to set up the symbolic links in a DFS share, as shown below.

I have 2 Samba servers (SMB1 and SMB2).  I set up the DFS share on SMB1 per these instructions and want to share the Public share from SMB2 through DFS on SMB1.

1.  root# cd /export/dfsroot
2.  root# chown root /export/dfsroot
3.  root# chmod 755 /export/dfsroot

4.  root# ln -s msdfs:storageA\\shareA linka
5.  root# ln -s msdfs:serverB\\share,serverC\\share linkb

I think the 5th line would be:     ln -s msdfs:smb2\\public

I'm totally confused about what the 4th line is trying to get me to do.  I assume "storageA" is SMB1 and shareA is the DFS share, and the symbolic link command would look like this:

ln -s msdfs:smb1\\dfs linka

If so, what is "linka"???  If not, can anyone give me an example of how to issue this symbolic link command correctly?

Thank you very much for your help,
Marion D. Haines
Network Administrator
Board of County Commissioners