2.2.2 printing.

Michel Van den Bergh vdbergh at luc.ac.be
Fri Dec 14 08:11:03 GMT 2001

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Michel Van den Bergh wrote:
>
> > This is an update.
> >
> > I now tried to use the 2.2.2 rpm's for RH 7.1 on the samba website.
> > Same symptoms (things working beautifully at first, unable
> > to print afterwards).
> >
> > This problem is really beating me. Any help is appreciated!
>
> Have you read the docs on the "disable spoolss" and "use client driver"
> parameters?

Yes I now have and it is very confusing. Anyway I managed to get a working

setup without   "disable spoolss" (which the documentation strongly
discourages).

I created two printers  "lp" and "raw" (they correspond to the same
physical printer:
an Epson C80).    "raw" uses the windows drivers by Epson. I installed it
as a
network printer so it doesn't seem to need "use client driver".

"lp" uses ghostscript on the Linux side. So it needs a postscript
generating driver on
the XP side. I selected some random Apple Laser Writer (any good
suggestions btw?).
I wanted to install "lp" also as a network printer but then XP seemed to
require that
I had the original driver CD of the Apple Laser Writer. Since I didn't
have it, I installed
this printer as a local printer (which XP allowed!). This seemed to
require "use client driver".

Anyway I think I now more or less understands what goes on but it took me
a day. The documentation
makes a big deal about "downloadable drivers" but am I correct that this
is irrelevant for individual
users like me? Consequently a share [print$] is also not needed?

Below is the relevant section of my smb.conf.

printer admin = bertold
[print$]   ; necessary?
    path = /etc/samba/printers
    guest ok = yes