Browsing problems

cwindsor at gsu.edu cwindsor at gsu.edu
Fri Dec 14 06:04:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Matt Claridge wrote:

> Hi, I'm hoping someone can help with this - we're having some spurious
> Win95/98 browsing problems and although I'm continuing to experiement
> with things, I'm really not sure whats causing the problem. I've read
> the docs and various Samba books, but I'm no closer to a solution at the
> moment.
>
> We currently have three subnets and five workgroups in our network,
> arranged like this:
>
> Subnet 1:
> workgroup 1
> workgroup 2
> workgroup 3
> workgroup 4
>
> Subnet 2:
> workgroup 5
>
> Subnet 3:
> workgroup 1
>
> So workgroup 1 spans two subnets.
> Subnet 1 is the main subnet. Subnet 3 routes through subnet 2 to reach
> subnet 1 (does that make sense worded like that???)
>
> Workgroup 1 - Samba LMB, Win9x workstations.
> Workgroup 2 - Samba WINS server, Samba LMB, plus two other Samba print
> servers, configured NOT to be browse masters.
> Workgroup 3 - Samba DMB (controlling domain logons.
> Workgroup 4 - Win2000 server(!!!), Win9x workstations.
> Workgroup 5 - Samba LMB, Win9x workstations.
>
> I hope that makes sense! SO, here's the problem:
> WIndows clients in subnet 1/workgroup 1 can browse all five workgroups.
> The only problem they have is not seeing the machines on subnet 3 (same
> workgroup).
> The Win200 server in workgroup 4 can only browse its own workgroup.
> WIndows clients in subnet 2/workgroup 5 can browse all workgroups EXCEPT
> workgroup 1 (this results in a "share name not found" error)
> WIndows clients in subnet 3/workgroup 1 can only browse machines on that
> subnet.
>
> smbclient -L localhost -U% on any samba machine returns a correct list
> of servers and master browsers.
>
> All Samba servers and Windows clients are configured to use the WINS
> server and there's no problem accessing shares either by mapping drives
> or using net use in DOS. I'm not sure of two things though - maybe the
> Win2000 server is interfering with the Samba servers? and maybe I
> misunderstood the Samba browsing docs :o)
>
> If anyone has any pointers for this I'd be most grateful - I know
> browsing can be a pain in the backside, and it isn't exactly essential,
> but it would be nice if I could get this working.
>
> Many thanks in advance
> Matt Claridge
> I.T. Systems Officer
> BBNPA

__
I am new to samba, but I hope this helps...
I am working on a similar problem.  I have 10 workgroups that
span 2 routed subnets.  There is a Samba DMB/WINS in one and a
Samba LMB in the other.  I can browse across subnets but only
if the DMB and LMB are in the same workgroup, and I can browse
only that workgroup.  In order to browse all workgroups, I am
considering running a virtual nmbd for each workgroup.  I
suggest looking at the archives:
 http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/1999-January/039588.html

--
Charles C. Windsor		|	ph:  404-651-2279
Georgia State University	|	fax: 404-651-1427
Physics & Astronomy		|	email: cwindsor at gsu.edu