Cant log on 2.2.1a DC with win 98 SE computer

rebel rebel at snafu.de
Fri Dec 14 01:11:15 GMT 2001

Hello everyone,

System: Suse 7.3 with Updates, Samba 2.2.1a

Problem summary: I can connect from the local machine (Samba server) with smbclient with a given password and have access to the shares. But I cant connect from the win 98 SE (Second Edition) computer with that password and username, getting the error "Invalid parameter". The Samba Server acts as a domain controller.

More detailed: I am a newbie to samba. My task is to replace a win2000 server with shares. the server acts as a domain controller.
what I did was configuring samba with swat. as I can see, it has properly setup as a domain controller. smbd and nmbd are running. when I connect from a console on the linux server with smbclient, I can access the shares without problem. on the linux server, there is a linux account with the same name and password as on a win 98 SE computer. I set up a smbpasswd file with the .sh script that is provided. first I had the XXX entries. then I played with update passwd option and use encrypted passwords a bit, and I think (if I look in it) the smbpasswd has updated with the correct password. But when I want to log in from the win 98 computer, i always get the error "ungültiger parameter" in german, that could be translated as "invalid parameter" to english, on the win 98 SE computer. This error message is not telling much (in the beginning it said, there is no domain-controller, but that problem seems to be fixed).
The samba log at log level 3 tells me that: yield connection: tdb_delete failed with error Record does not exist. A bit above in the log I see a message from process.c, timeout processing that tells me -end of file from client-.
Has anyone an idea ?
greetings
- Frankie