rmdir bug?

Hactar eben at gate.net
Thu Dec 13 22:56:02 GMT 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Lindeman, Andrew wrote:

> I have a share called pub.  In that share, there is a folder that I want to
> block access to.  So, I chmoded it 0700 and chowned it root.  In my smb.conf
> file, I set the "guest account" parameter to "netshare", an unprivialized
> user.  I also set the "guest only" parameter to "yes"  No remote computer
> can "cd" into the directory, but all can delete (rmdir) the folder.  The
> folder is chmoded -rwx------ and root owns the file.  Is this a bug or my
> misunderstanding?

If the directory is empty, then there are no files to delete recursively,
thus the parent's permissions govern who may delete the directory.  To
prevent the directory from being removed, try adding a file to it, maybe
something as innucuous as a file named "...".

13/0 eben at pc.ttyp6:~/test > mkdir foo ; chmod 000 foo ; su -c 'chown root.root foo' ; ls -l
Password:
total 1
   1 d---------   2 root     root         1024 Dec 14 01:42 foo/
14/0 eben at pc.ttyp6:~/test > rmdir foo ; ls -l
total 0
15/0 eben at pc.ttyp6:~/test > mkdir foo ; touch foo/... ; chmod 000 foo ; su -c 'chown root.root foo' ; ls -l
Password:
total 1
   1 d---------   2 root     root         1024 Dec 14 01:43 foo/
16/0 eben at pc.ttyp6:~/test > rmdir foo ; ls -l
rmdir: foo: Directory not empty
17/0 eben at pc.ttyp6:~/test >

--
-eben          eQbWeEnR at gTaYtUeI.nOePt          home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person... but you