RH 7.1 & Samba HELP

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Dec 13 15:20:08 GMT 2001

I assume this is not some RH supplied RPM.
If this is so, none of the executables are going to be where RH expects them,
neither will the lock files, smbd.pid, etc.
Everything is likely in /usr/local/samba
So, you will have to write your own scripts to start and stop samba, etc.
This is easier, I think, that trying to modify the RH scripts, which are
fairly involved. The startup script can be as simple as this:

#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
 start)
  killall smbd <--- I am not sure if this is needed
  killall nmbd
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
  ;;

 stop)
  killall smbd   <---Again, may be overkill. Maybe, you should
  killall nmbd   <-----just kill the parent smbd. Haven't tried this.
 ;;
 reload)
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/lock/samba/smbd.pid`
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/lock/samba/nmbd.pid`
 ;;
 *)
 echo Usage:
 echo start stop reload