samba printing

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Dec 13 15:10:03 GMT 2001

I take it things are printing ok.
As I recall, RH 7.1 uses lprng, yes? Samba may not specify lprng as the
default. Better check that out.
Just taking some wild shots here:
There may be a problem with the command that samba is using for showing the
queue. Or, maybe something odd in lpd.perms.
I would try making lpd.perms have only this one line:
DEFAULT ACCEPT
Bad security, but good for troubleshooting.
Here is the setup I have for a printer hanging off a linux box with samba:
 path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.
        printable = Yes
        printing = lprng
        print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
                       echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
        lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -Plp %j
        lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -Plp %j
The fancy print command allows the real file name to appear in the queueand
also removes the annoying Microsoft prefix with Word documents.
Joel