Samba problems with HP-UX

jpnuebel at rockwellcollins.com jpnuebel at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Dec 13 11:49:03 GMT 2001

     Hello, I'm Jeff P. Nuebel with Rockwell - Collins in Cedar Rapids,
Iowa.  We run a large mixed network of Solaris, HP-UX, linux, NT, w2k, and
XP.

After testing/deploying 2.2.2 to 400+ workstations from 2.0.6 to 2.2.x, in
order for W2K and XP to see there home accounts living on departmental UNIX
production workstation, we have ran into problems on the HP-UX side of the
fence with Windows 2k and XP.  I can access the share, which comes up slow,
and when I get to a file like a .pdf file through Acrobat Reader it comes
up incomplete and says "There was a problem reading this document(14).
Smaller text "notepad files" come up and connection lost and gives me a
blank page.

We can copy the file from the share to a local folder and it comes up fine
so it seems to only half download the file when opening up a Samba shared
file through an application. I've tried various options and scenarios on
Samba and HP-UX but have still come up with no luck.  The Samba I compiled
for Sun works fine.  It was the same 2.2.2 source code I downloaded for
both.  Thinking it might be a compiler or library issue I downloaded the
binaries from the download area and it behaves the same way.  It also
responds the same way on 10.20 and 11.00.

NT does not seem to have a problem with it and when I set logging to 3 or
10 I don't get much info scrolling accost the screen until I try the same
share from a w2k client does it start spewing tons of info into the logs.

Has anyone ran into similar problems on HP, I'm running out of ideas and
have not found anything "good" on the web from HP's support or new groups?
We need something figured out ASAP.  I'm open to suggestion.

I find it odd that it only has problems with a combination of Win2k and
Samba running on HP-UX.  All other combinations work fine between NT, wk2,
etc on SUN and NT/95 on HP-UX only so I cannot say its Windows 2000, nor
can I say it's HP-UX, and I cant say it's Samba because the same code is
ported to Solaris and works like a champ on the enterprise.

THANX

Jeff P. Nuebel
Senior Systems Administrator (UNIX)
Rockwell - Collins