Access denial

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Thu Dec 13 09:27:06 GMT 2001

On Thu, 2001-12-13 at 10:51, Tom Faulhaber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Tom Faulhaber.  I am the network administrator at a small company
> in Providence,RI.
>
> I am running Samba 2.2.2 on a Redhat 6.1 machine on a Novell 4.21 network.
> The workstations are Win98SE.  The Linux box is being used for the company
> intranet (Apache 1.3.22).
>
> Everything runs fine, however I am completely stumped on one issue (so far).
>
> That issue is:  network connectivity.  If I set the parameter security=share
> everything is fine, however, if I set security=user I get access denied,
> password invalid.  I have tried setting up username map file without
> success.

Hi Tom,

With security=user you need to set up your samba server as a PDC for
your network.  This also means you'll have to either 1) store encrypted
passwords on the samba server for user authentication since Win98SE uses
encrypted password by default, or 2) change the registry setting of the
Win98SE machines to use plaintext password.

The Samba-HOWTO-Collection doc that comes with Samba package explains
how to set up a Samba server as PDC.

> While I can live with security=share I want to FTP files into the intranet
> and I am getting access denied and I have managed to convince myself they
> are related.  I my be wrong.

No, this is not related to Samba.  If FTP connection request is denied,
then you need to make sure your FTP daemon is running.

Kohei