Access denial

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu Dec 13 09:04:07 GMT 2001

> Hi,
>
> My name is Tom Faulhaber.  I am the network administrator at a small company
> in Providence,RI.
>
> I am running Samba 2.2.2 on a Redhat 6.1 machine on a Novell 4.21 network.
> The workstations are Win98SE.  The Linux box is being used for the company
> intranet (Apache 1.3.22).
>
> Everything runs fine, however I am completely stumped on one issue (so far).
>
> That issue is:  network connectivity.  If I set the parameter security=share
> everything is fine, however, if I set security=user I get access denied,
> password invalid.  I have tried setting up username map file without
> success.
>
> While I can live with security=share I want to FTP files into the intranet
> and I am getting access denied and I have managed to convince myself they
> are related.  I my be wrong.
You are wrong.
FTP has nothing to do with samba.
But they may be related if you have not setup your accounts on the
linux box corretly. For the start I would switch the Win-boxes to
plaintext passwords (Registry-Key). Use the same usernames and
passwords for w98 and the linux box. Look at "guest ok", "map to
guest" and "passwd level" in smb.conf.

I would try to solve the ftp thing first. May be start with logins on
the console of the Linux box to see if the accounts and passwords
work.

Christian