Samba + freebsd + printing

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Wed Dec 12 17:07:02 GMT 2001

Many things might cause this but you might looks at the LPRng documentation,
where this nugget is found in the FAQ section:
0.4. Job disappears and is never printed, but lpr works

This is a rather disconcerting problem, and usually occurs when sending jobs
to either a network printer or a nonconforming RFC1179 print spooler. For
details about LPRng and RFC1179, see RFC1179 and LPRng, but here is a quick
explanation.

An lpd job consists of a control file, which contains information about the
job, and one or more data files. RFC1179 is silent on the order that jobs
are sent; however some implementations REQUIRE that the data files be sent
first, followed by the control file.

SOLUTION:

Set the send_data_first flag in the printcap for the particular printer, or
in the lpd.conf configuration file. This is:

:send_data_first:  (printcap)
send_data_first    (lpd.conf)

Note that some printers/servers INSIST on the control file first; You can
clear the flag using  send_job_first@ if you need to.

Joel