apple's samba on mac os x server

Chad Cunningham ccunning at math.ohio-state.edu
Wed Dec 12 07:59:04 GMT 2001

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know what apple has done to
samba on mac os x server? reading through the docs, it sounds like they
have modified it to authenticate via netinfo. At the very least, they've
done something so that rather than having an smbpasswd file, it stores the
windows encrypted passwords in netinfo, and it authenticates incoming
requests via netinfo rather than a password file. I'm wondering if they
did this to samba or if they have some sort of bridge somewhere, or what.
If they modified samba, as it's GPL, they'd have to publish the changes,
right? Did they talk to any of the samba folks about how they've done
this? I can find no info anywhere on apple's site...

--

Chad Cunningham
ccunning at math.ohio-state.edu

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
bites!"