Problems with a dying winbindd daemon

m.o.tigchelaar at kpn.com m.o.tigchelaar at kpn.com
Wed Dec 12 01:24:02 GMT 2001

Hello there!

Since i am new to this list i will introduce myself in short: My name is
Martijn Olivier Tigchelaar (Martijn). I am from the Kingdom of The
Netherlands and i live in Eindhoven which is the hometown of Philips. To
earn my living i do a lot of things - sitting behind my computer is just one
of those.

Currently i am having problems with the Winbindd daemon - it seems to die
silently... Here is what i did:

i compiled samba 2.2.2 the way it should be done according to the
"winbind.html" file from the docs dir. When i start smbd, nmbd and winbindd
everything works fine. It is possible to see the users and groups from the
NT primary domain and trusted domain. Shared files can be accessed by users
over the network. Nothing seems to be wrong.

Then all at a sudden it does not work anymore! It turns out that the
Winbindd daemon simply dies on me (when i do a "ps-ef" the winbindd daemon
is not among the running processes...) I have to stop all the remaining
Samba related daemons (smbd, nmbd) and start the whole bunch again (smbd,
nmbd and winbindd) to get things up and running again. Simply re-starting
the winbindd daemon does not work.

Does anyone have any idea on how i can solve this problem? Am i doing
something wrong? As i think of it - maybe i should run the winbindd with
debugging enabled.

sincerely yours,

Martijn Tigchelaar.