Send SIGHUP

Anthony aslan at ispdr.net.au
Tue Dec 11 14:35:07 GMT 2001

For my systems, yes I am sure. As for other systems (and we all know that
Samba runs on _many_ systems), I can't say for sure. However, if I recall
correctly, the place where I read about it was a Samba doc... I really do
wish I could find that doc! And I think you're right about SIGHUP. If I
want to be 1.3 million % sure that Samba has re-read the smb.conf file, I
use the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart" command (I think that's strictly a
RedHat thing?). I took a quick look through the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb"
script and it seems to essentially kill the smb and nmb processes and then
start them up again. I copied this behaviour recently for a Slackware 7.0
box that I had to set up, and it worked fine. It was a fair bit rougher
than the way RedHat handles it, but it worked. :)

Having said all that, the original post that created this particular thread
was asking how to re-read the smb.conf file without having to restart
Samba. And I think the answer to that is this: If Samba isn't re-reading
the smb.conf file AFTER IT HAS BEEN CHANGED (and within 2 minutes, max.),
you simply will not be able to have the smb.conf file re-read without
restarting Samba. I might be wrong, but I am pretty confident this time
that I'm correct. :)

And that is WAY more than I had anticipated for this E-Mail! I hope this
helps whoever it was meant to help!

Anthony.

At 02:14 a 12/12/2001, it was written: