Windows 95 connection problem.

Dean Scott ScottD at FamilyMeds.com
Tue Dec 11 13:28:04 GMT 2001

Robert,

I had exactly the same problem until I set encrypt passwords to no.  Try
that and see if your win95 computer connects.  Your other clients won't be
able to but you will know what the problem is.

Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Wood [mailto:Robert.Wood at apostrophe.org.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2001 4:16 PM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Windows 95 connection problem.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that's driving me potty!

I have a network at home of various flavour of Wind*ws and a Mandrake 8.1
Linux box. After much trial and error, I have set the sytem up so I can log
on to the network from WIn NT, Win 2k, Win 98 - but, no matter what I try, I

cannot get a Win 95 machine to connect. I have installed the vrdrupd.exe
file
on the Win 95 machine as that seemed to promise my success, but still no
joy.

I can see the homes and share directory I set up, but I just keep getting
told I'm entering an incorrect password. I'm using exactly the same
techniques on my Linux box to set up accounts for all types of Wind*ws
machines - but the password is still, apparently, invalid when I  enter it
on
the 95 machine.

Is it something to do with encrypted passwords?

I have:

 encrypt passwords = yes

in my smb.conf files.

Please remember, it's *only* Win 95 machines I can't connect (I have tried
two).

Thanks for your help.

Rob.