Samba suddenly going nuts!

Rashkae rashkae at wealthmap.ca
Tue Dec 11 12:26:10 GMT 2001

For what it's worth, the file system corruption problem was only with
2.4.15 (and I believe one pre-release immediately prior). Furthermore, the
problem only occured when system is shutdown, not left unnatended.

However, if you want to eliminate file system corruption as a possible
cause, if you at any time has Kernel v. 2.4.15 installed, you should force
a fschk (shutdown -rF will do it, I believe, though this will reboot your
system.)

On 11 Dec 2001, Kohei Yoshida wrote:

On Tue, 2001-12-11 at 10:50, Peter Schuller wrote:
[...]
> If left un-attended the system will eventually run out of file
> descriptors, requiring a reboot because you can't even login. In fact,
> a hard reset might even be required if the shutdown scripts can't even
> run.
[...]
> Has anyone got a clue what the problem might be? It's been a while
> since we touched the server; and when we did we mostly just upgraded
> the kernel and reconfigured some networking stuff. We didn't mess
> around with samba, we didn't perform any system-wide upgrade, etc. The
> problems just showed up out of thin air as far as I can tell.

I failed to see what system you use, but if it's Linux, there is a file
system corruption bug in the kernel version, I believe, from 2.4.9
through 2.4.15.  The problem may be related to this kernel bug.

If it's not Linux, hmmmm... no clue.

Kohei