win2k joining Samba 2.2.2 PDC problems

Martin Thomas mthomas at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Dec 11 11:47:05 GMT 2001

>Message: 50
>From: Phil Chambers <P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk>
>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>Subject: Re: win2k joining Samba 2.2.2 PDC problems.
>Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:08:13 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

>Following the advice given on this list, I used root when joining a w2k client into
>my SAMBA PDC.  That seemed to work and I got the "Welcome to the xxx domain" pop-up
>window (it took 50 seconds to join!).  I then got the message saying Windows needed
>to be rebooted, so I rebooted.  I selected the domain and gave a valid username and
>password for the domain and got:

>The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems's computer account in
>its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect.

>I interpret this as saying that there is a problem with the account for the w2k
>client rather than the username.

>I have the log output for SAMBA running at debug level 10 for this activity and have
>been right through it (2266 lines of it) and can see no sign of any failure being
>reported.  I can see where SAMBA finds the client in smbpasswd, but there is no
>error message in that area (or anywhere else). The username which I used for the
>login does not appear in the log, so it seems to confirm that it did not get as far
>as checking that.

>Given that I do not know the SMB protocol I cannot tell at what point SAMBA is
>returning an error to the client.  Can anyone advise on what I should be looking for
>in the log, or is anyone willing to look at the log for me?

You can try this first:

check your .../smbpasswd if there is an entry for your machine (merlin here),
it should look like:

  merlin$:1023:30A507.....

check your /etc/passwd if there is an entry for the machine 'as user'

  merlin$:x:1023:214:RechnerAccount:/dev/null:/bin/true

If you do not have these entries you might have a wrong line in you smb.conf.
It should be something like (in a single line!):

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g machines
 -c RechnerAccount -d /dev/null -s /bin/true %m$

(I have a group machines in /etc/group with group ID 214)

Depending on your system you might have to change this. Look for
the programs/scripts useradd or adduser on your unix system and call
them with -h or --help from the command-line/shell, this will point
you in the right direction.

If you do not have success, send me your log-file.

- Martin