running .exe files from a Unix share without specifying .exe extension - is it possible ??

Kamen Pavlov kamen at ghs.com
Tue Dec 11 07:58:08 GMT 2001

Hi gurus,

I have mapped drive V:\ on my win2k pro from a SAMBA share on a
Sparc/Solaris 2.8.

When I cd to v:\ and type the filename without specifying .exe after it, the
system cannot find it.

If I map V:\ from another share, this time a windows machine, this works
great.  On local drives as well - windows assumes .exe extension and calls
the file.

This is not a path problem, as the executable is not in my path.

I have checked samba config settings but cannot find anything relevant.

What am I missing ?
If the above is not clear, I can copy/paste my attempts.

Regards,

Kamen

p.s. here are examples :

Drive L: is mapped from a Win98 share, drive V: is a samba (v2.0.7) share on

a Sparc/Solaris 2.7 server.

The executable is called gdump.exe and is not on my path.

Here is the command output:

-------------------

V:\>gdump

'gdump' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

V:\>dir gdump.*

Volume in drive V is v_NT

Volume Serial Number is 0236-0350

Directory of V:\

File Not Found

V:\>dir gdump.exe

Volume in drive V is v_NT

Volume Serial Number is 0236-0350

Directory of V:\

11/16/2001 12:10a 1,359,912 gdump.exe

1 File(s) 1,359,912 bytes

0 Dir(s) 1,724,383,232 bytes free

V:\>

If I call gdump.exe it will work .. but the goal is to call gdump only and

it should see .exe. (as the windows share)

-----------------------

This is strange because " dir gdump.* " doesn't return anything, so it

doesn't even consider .exe to be an extension ?

At the same time if I try the same from L:\ (the windows share), I get:

-------------------

L:\>dir gdump.*

Volume in drive L is DRIVE_C

Volume Serial Number is 07CE-0903

Directory of L:\

11/30/2001 11:55a 1,355,816 gdump.exe

1 File(s) 1,355,816 bytes

0 Dir(s) 12,550,406,144 bytes free

L:\>gdump

Usage: gdump [-help] <options> filename

--------------------

Obviously .exe is seen as an extension in this case and the executable is

called.

Here are the file attributes of gdump.exe on the Unix drive:

bash-2.03$ ls -al gdump.exe

-r-xrwxr-x 1 esprit flsite 1359912 Nov 16 00:10 gdump.exe

And here are the smb.conf settings for this share:

[v_NT]

comment = /v

path = /v

case sensitive = yes