Samba/Win_NT mapped drive problem

A.J.Dawson A.J.Dawson at Bradford.ac.uk
Tue Dec 11 06:22:09 GMT 2001

I am having a problem with Samba 2.2.2 mapped drives under Windows
NT.

Specifically, the problem is that users cannot either read directly from
(by double-clicking on a file), nor directly write to the root of a mapped
drive.  Users CAN however create a folder in the root of their mapped
drives and then read and write files to that folder okay, and can also
copy files from the root of their mapped drive to a local drive by either
dragging and dropping or right-clicking and selecting copy/paste.

Under Windows 2000 the problem simply doesnt exist - unfortunately at the
moment I cannot upgrade everyone currently using Windows NT to Windows
2000 due to some software issues.

For example:

P:\new_folder

	---- some_file.txt

is fine, both reading by double clicking and writing

P:\some_file.txt

isnt!

The error I get when trying to copy a file to the root of the mapped drive
is 'A file with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different
filename'.  The error I get when double-clicking a file is 'The directory
name is invalid'.  The error I get when attempting to cut and paste a file
into the root of a mapped drive is 'Cannot create or replace P:\: Root
directory (internal error)'.

Has anyone else seen these problems before?  Perhaps more importantly,
does anyone know how to solve the problem?

I am running Samba 2.2.2 acting as a PDC.
The Windows NT machines are running NT 4.0 SP6.0a
The WIndows 2000 machines are running Windows 2000 SP2

smb.conf file attached below.

Regards
Andy

Dr. Andy Dawson
A.J.Dawson at Bradford.ac.uk
http://www.mossie.org

 Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

[global]
   # general declarations for the server
   workgroup = SOMEGROUP
   server string = NT Server
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   interfaces = XXX.XX.XXX.XXX/24
   local master = yes
   os level = 69
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   wins server = XXX.XX.XXX.XX
   ;dns proxy = yes
   time server = yes
   map archive = yes
   browseable = yes

   # log file options - log by machine name, not > 200k /log
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log/log.%m
   max log size = 200

   # security considerations
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   hosts allow = XXX.XX.XXX. XXX.XX.XX. XXX.XX.XXX. 127.
   remote announce = XXX.XX.XX.255/SOMEGROUP XXX.XX.XXX.255/SOMEGROUP
   guest account = nobody
   map to guest = Never
   guest ok = no
   domain admin group = @NT_adm
   add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c NT_machine -d /dev/null -g NT_machines -s /bin/false %m$
   bind interfaces only = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   ;passwd chat = *New*password*%n\n *new*password*%n\n *Password*changed*
   ; The line immediately above seems not to be required...
   ;passwd chat debug = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u ; make -s -C /var/yp

   # printer defaults
   load printers = yes
   printing = BSD
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
;   printcap file = /etc/printcap
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
   use client driver = yes
   disable spoolss = yes
   printer admin = @NT_adm
   printcap name = /etc/printcap

   # logon paths etc.
   logon script = scripts\%u.bat
   ;logon home = \\server\%u
   logon drive = p:

; logon script = scripts\login.bat
;   logon path =

[netlogon]
   comment = Network Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   browseable = no

[homes]
   comment = %u on %L
   volume = %u on %L
   writeable = yes
   valid users = @users
   hide dot files = yes
   veto files = /.*/
   create mask = 700
   directory mask = 700
   browseable = no

[Archive]
   comment = Archive on %L
   volume = Archive on %L
   read only = yes
   path = /home/archive
   valid users = @users
   hide dot files = yes
   veto files = /.*/
   write list = @Archive_adm
   force group = users
   force create mode = 770
   force directory mode = 770
   create mask = 770
   directory mask = 770
   browseable = yes

[Guest]
   comment = Guest on %L
   volume = Guest on %L
   writeable = yes
   path = /home/guest
   valid users = @users
   hide dot files = yes
   veto files = /.*/
   force group = users
   force create mode = 770
   force directory mode = 770
   create mask = 770
   directory mask = 770
   browseable = yes

[Laserjet_6MP]
   comment = Laserjet_6MP on %L
   printable = yes
   path = /var/spool/lpd/someplace-lp-lj_6mp
   printer = lj_6mp
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   valid users = @users