Performance-problem with DOS-Progs

Andre Klocke andre.klocke at stb-datenservice.de
Tue Dec 11 05:29:09 GMT 2001

Hello.

We have servers running Samba v2.2.1a and v2.2.2. These Servers provide DOS-Programs for the networks. These programs seem to run in normal speed, but sometimes they make a break for a few secounds until a minute. After that break all runns as usual.
How can this be explained?

Here ist my smb.conf:

[global]
 workgroup = DOMAIN
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 map to guest = Bad User
 null passwords = Yes
 keepalive = 10
 logon script = login.bat
 domain logons = Yes
 os level = 128
 socket options = TCP_NODELAY
 preferred master = Yes
 domain master = Yes
 local master = Yes
 security = user
 wins support = Yes
 kernel oplocks = yes
 time server = Yes
 log level = 0
 printing = lprng
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /dev/false -M %u
 character set = ISO8859-1
 client code page = 850

The single shares are defined like:

[DOS-Prog]
 path = /data/DOS-Prog
 writeable = Yes
 create mask = 0777
 directory mask = 0777
 oplocks = no

oplock = no is needed, because we run a DOS Database called Btrieve. If we allow oplocks all progs crash very often and very badly!

May there be a problem with many files in one directory?
One of these progs has all data files in one dir, sometimes up to 70.000 files!!!!! Could this be the probelm?

Many thanks for your help!!!!!!

Andre Klocke