almost printing

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm at lineone.net
Mon Dec 10 07:07:05 GMT 2001

At 08:24 PM 12/9/01 -0800, you wrote:
>That doesn't work.  From the UNIX box, the printer is defined as to be able
>to print ASCI or raw only.  I can print ASCI fine (cat ASCI-file >
>/dev/lp0).  The printer is just a deskjet, not a postscript printer.  If I
>connect the printer to the Windows box printing is great.
>
>Gary.

What I did the other day, when our Deskjet wouldn't print multi copies
(driver worked fine local, just didn't like over-the-network printing) was :

- installed apsfilter, and allowed it to set up a new "auto" type printer
- downloaded the adobe windows postscript driver and set that to connect to
the auto printer
- left the original driver on the raw printer

This enables people to print single-copy documents to the original driver,
which also has the extras (clean print heads etc.) and multi-copy docs to
the postscript printer.
This is not ideal, but at least it works.

Martyn Ranyard