Samba and CUPS... Driving Me Psychotic

Jason Ferguson jferg3 at swbell.net
Sun Dec 9 13:15:04 GMT 2001

I have set up samba 2.2.2 (debian package 2.2.2-2, actually). Files are
shared out (though Win98 doesnt like my valid users lines, a task for
another day). However, it hits the fan when I try to share out my printer to
my win2000 system (note: I can print from the server).

Ive been through DIAGNOSIS.txt and the HOWTO collection, which didnt help,
unless I missed something.

Here are some relevant lines from the smb.conf file. I left out the file
sharing sections.

[global]
server string = %h server (Samba %v)
netbios name = Werewolf
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
printing = cups
; hosts allow = 192.168.1.0/24
; valid users = @users
; valid users = %S
nt acl support = no
guest account = nobody

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /tmp
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[Lexmark]
comment = Lexmark Z52 Printer
path = /tmp
printable = yes
writeable = no      <--- saying yes here doesnt work either
valid users = @users nobody
guest ok = yes
use client driver = yes

Im past errors like "unable to connect", but either it gets stuck on
"opening" in the printers window or just gives me an "unable to print"
error.

Help!

Jason