starting samba

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sat Dec 8 10:32:05 GMT 2001

I assume that is a typo. Shouldn't S70samba point to:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/scriptname ?
Anyway, is this samba from the RH rpm or from a tar ball?
The tarball doesn't install a script for you and the RH script will not
start the tarball version, since the binaries are in different directories.
Here is a simple script I use to start the tarball version:

#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
 start)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
  ;;

 stop)
  killall smbd
  killall nmbd
 ;;
 reload)
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid`
 kill -SIGHUP `cat /usr/local/samba/var/locks/nmbd.pid`
 ;;
 *)
 echo Usage:
 echo start stop reload