win2k joining Samba 2.2.2 PDC problems.

Francis Turner turner at juelich-enzyme.com
Fri Dec 7 08:39:18 GMT 2001

Phil Chambers wrote:

> I had just reached this same position myself when trying to work out why W2k will
> not authenticate against my SAMBA PDC.  I have had several permissions problems with
> SAMBA and have had to make various directories and files world-readable.  However, I
> understand that smbpasswd needs to be tightly restricted for security concerns, so
> have not tried to solve this problem by making it world-readable.
>
> So, any help will be appreciated by at least two of us!

Make that 3! In my case I successfully got the add user script to run
and create the machine account but it's not joining the domain properly
despite that.

I was also unable to get a win 95 machine to recognise that the server
was a PDC

Smb.conf looks liek this

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.27 (192.168.0.27)
# Date: 2001/12/06 20:09:31

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = JEP
	netbios name = STINKPAD
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	null passwords = Yes
	username map = /etc/user.map
	add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
	logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 64
	preferred master = Yes
	domain master = Yes
         local master = Yes
	default service = global
	read only = No
	guest ok = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
         security = user

[netlogon]
	path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
	write list = root
         writeable = no

[profiles]
	path = /export/smb/ntprofile
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700
         writeable = yes

--
Francis Turner, CIO Juelich Enzyme Products Gmbh
http://www.juelich-enzyme.com/ +49-173-291-7278

             -- Henry J. Tillman