[AAFUGIT] Re: workgroups not recognized in virtual server conf files

cwindsor at gsu.edu cwindsor at gsu.edu
Fri Dec 7 08:08:08 GMT 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Joe,
>
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, D. Joe Anderson wrote:
>
> > because I want to put, for example, in smb.conf
>
> > 	netbios alias = test3 test4 test5
> > 	include = /etc/samba/conf.%L
>
> > and then have multiple configuration files conf.test3 conf.test4 conf.test5
> > etc, each in a different workgroup and with different settings.
>
> > Some I'd like to get running as primary domain controllers, behaving as an
> > NT PDC would, others just to help sync browse lists across networks disjoint
> > to smb broadcast traffic, and so forth.  I've got lots of different
> > situations to handle, and not so many machines, so I could really, really
> > use the flexibility of virtual servers, at least if I can get them to behave
> > the way I think they should.
>
> Do you have more IP addresses available to you than you do machines?  If
> so, you could get by with running a separate nmbd instance for each IP
> address, with a completely separate config; each nmbd would send out its
> own broadcast & wins registrations, and you could have distinct virtual
> servers that way.  You could even use your existing config for the smbd,
> so you only have to have one of those daemons listening for connections on
> all ports.
>
> Frankly, I wonder whether the authors of Running Samba" ever tested that
> particular configuration before they included it in the book; I honestly
> don't know how it ever would have worked, because there just isn't a
> netbios server context associated with the nmbd process that's doing name
> registration. I know things have gotten into Samba books before because
> they were passed around by word of mouth, I suspect this is another
> example of that. :)
>
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

Would this require using a NIC and line for each workgroup?  If I had
15 workgroups, how could I have 15 nmbd processes?

This sounds like something I could use to enable browsing across
subnets for multiple workgroups.  I have it working with a samba
in each subnet, but I can browse across for just one workgroup.
I've tried multiple nmbds and smb.confs but don't know how to
do it.

--
Charles C. Windsor		|	ph:  404-651-2279
Georgia State University	|	fax: 404-651-1427
Physics & Astronomy		|	email: cwindsor at gsu.edu