Samba on a small network- 3 Machines.

Steven L Sprague ssprague at us.ibm.com
Fri Dec 7 08:01:28 GMT 2001

Hello Samba Team,

I am new to Linux, but not to networking.  However, I am having a bear of a
time setting up Samba on a small test network - 3 Machines.  I have read
all your example setup files for Samba, config, lmhosts, hosts, resolve,
etc., and have read back to back "Linux  - Samba Server Administration"  by
Roderick W. Smith (Craig Hunt Linux Library)

My test network (10-100 ethernet) consists of a Ascend p85 router using
internal DNS, DHCP, NAT, etc with a 128k ISDN connection to the internet.
In the router exists a DNS table for the machines and DHCP table that
assigns addresses by MAC address.
Each machine gets the same address every time they setup. All machines see
each other.

The NET is:

   I have tried various configs (simple to complex) for Samba via the swat
   tool. No cigar!
   Run through the your trouble shooting protocols and still can not see
   shares on my W2K client machine.
   I can see the Linux Server and comment string from the config file via
   the Windows 2000 Network tools.

Server:
Rhat 7.1  Intel 1.2 GHz PIII  2U server - plenty of everything, disk space,
ram memory 512 mb, etc.

Two Clients:
Windows 2000   AMD 1.2 GHz box  -  plenty of everything, disk space,  ram
memory 512 mb, etc.
Rhat 7.1  IBM 600X Thinkpad - 600 Mhz PIII w/ 20 GB disk space and 64 mb
memory - PCMCIA adaptor.

** I would like to start a conversation via e-mail with someone on your
team to get me back on track. **

Can you help.

Steven

Steven L. Sprague