workgroups not recognized in virtual server conf files

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at iastate.edu
Fri Dec 7 07:18:06 GMT 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 12:21:04AM -0600, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
> Maybe I've missed something, but I'm curious why are have 2 config
> files?  Why not just move the conf.test4 to smb.conf?  I assume you are
> going to later be configuring multiple "servers"?

In short, yes.   I tried to say this in my original message.  Sorry if I
wasn't able to make it clear here:

> > (If anyone is wondering why I bother with the 'netbios alias' line for just
> > one netbios name, I tried this with three netbios aliases, expecting it to
> > Just Work.  This is a simplified example.  If we can get this to work, I'll
> > work my way back up ;-)

Basically, I want to keep %L in there, and have each virtual server handle a
different workgroup.

But I can't get the workgroup setting read from any included files.  I
thought maybe the complexity of my original conf files was hiding something,
so I pared it down to this much simpler example in hopes that I could get it
to work and isolate my problem, but even this simple example doesn't work.

This especially troubles me because as far as I can tell, it is nearly the
same as the example given in "Running Samba"

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch04_07.html

I looked at this also with Samba 2.0.7 (instead of 2.2.2) and it behaves the
same way, not picking up the workgroup setting from the included file, and
in direct contradiction to the example given (unless I'm totally misreading
that example on O'Reilly's site, and in my copy of their boo--I would be
very happy to find out I missed something obvious!).

> It looks like the
> reason it can't find "/etc/samba/conf."  is because the %L substitution
> is missing the from the end - the "%L" part.  I would guess this is
> because you first specify "netbios alias".

That error is from the instance of smbclient.  I can get rid of it by
specifying, for instance

"smbclient -s /etc/samba/conf.test4"

but the server side still fails to recognize the workgroup setting as I
would expect given the example.  Neither does specifying a workgroup from
the client side (with -W) prompt the server to work within the proper
workgroup.  It's not just in the top part of the smbclient response this
doesn't work, it also shows up further down in the body, where workgroups
and their domain master browsers our listed--my server gets listed as being
the domain master browser for the generic WORKGROUP rather than for the
specified "testwg".

> I would guess (never uesd
> the aliases myself)  that if you set the netbios name = test4 in the
> main smb.conf, and then set netbios alias = test4 in the include file
> that would work better.  But, it doesn't make sense to me to use the %L,
> since that is the netbios name, to define a virtual host for the netbios
> server you've already created, to be able to use the name?  So why not
> just leave the smb.conf empty, and use "include = /etc/samba/conf.test4"
> instead?

because I want to put, for example, in smb.conf

	netbios alias = test3 test4 test5
	include = /etc/samba/conf.%L

and then have multiple configuration files conf.test3 conf.test4 conf.test5
etc, each in a different workgroup and with different settings.

Some I'd like to get running as primary domain controllers, behaving as an
NT PDC would, others just to help sync browse lists across networks disjoint
to smb broadcast traffic, and so forth.  I've got lots of different
situations to handle, and not so many machines, so I could really, really
use the flexibility of virtual servers, at least if I can get them to behave
the way I think they should.

> I wonder if the workgroup and netbios alias info in the
> smb.conf is confusing things.  So basically, I would say dump the
> workgroup and netbios alias entries from the smb.conf, and change your
> include line to include = /etc/samba/conf.test4, and see if that fixes
> things.

This works, if I only wanted to run one name.  But I really do want to be
able to run multiple virtual servers from one Samba process :-)

The sad thing is, that the virtual servers all seem to behave otherwise--I
can connect to each one of them in turn, they show up on browse lists, and
otherwise behave as if they were running each on its own machine, except for
the fact that they are in the WORKGROUP workgroup, rather than the one I
specify (eg, testwg3 testwg4 testwg5)

--Joe