"smbd -D" gone wild ...

Ionel GARDAIS igardais at yahoo.fr
Fri Dec 7 01:37:01 GMT 2001

Hi,

I've a huge problem with Samba.
It's the PDC of the school LAN.
Clients are NTWS 4.

Samba has been up and running for 11 days and now,
since 2 days, force me to reboot the whole server
everyday to work.

I explain : when doing an "ps aux" or "smbstatus", i
saw A LOT of "smbd -D" started for the same user 10
times in about 2 minutes.

When I try to kill them, it didn't do anything even
after shutting down the Samba suite.

More, smbstatus warns me about locked files in RD_ONLY
or RDWR status and DENY_ALL mode.
The pointed files are in the /home/$user directory
which is 0755 accessible.

One last thing : while rebooting the server in order
to kill all misworking smbd threads, it can't unmount
/home, /var, / and other filesystems saying they are
"busy".
So, during boot time, while force-checking the
directories structures, it discovers many many wrong
dtime, inodes and other errors ...

i really don't know what's happening,

any ideas ?

Thanks for your help,
Ionel

Nokia 5510 Drôle de look... et quel son !
Cliquez sur http://fr.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/
Découvrez-le et tentez votre chance pour en gagner un !
Fin du concours le 16 décembre.