Newbie trying to get samba to print from win2k to linux

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Thu Dec 6 22:19:02 GMT 2001

Hello:

I am *really* new to samba.  I read as much of the
documentation and the mailing list as I can, but I am having
a problem trying to print from my windows 2000 box to my
linux machine.

Here is what I have on the Linux server:
	RedHat 7.2
	Epson Stylus Color 860 (This is set-up as a local
		printer using the stp driver and it works
		just fine)

I set-up samba by doing this:

I placed the RedHat 7.2 disk 1 in the cdrom drive and issued
the following commands:

mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
rpm -Uvh samba-2.2.1a-4.i386.rpm samba-common-2.2.1a-4.i386.rpm
umount /mnt/cdrom
eject

cat /etc/passwd | /usr/bin/mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
chmod 600 /etc/samba/smbpasswd
smbpasswd neil

I entered my unix password for my account as the
password.  I wonder if that is the problem since
I use "Neil Aggarwal" and a different password
on my windows machine.  Is there a way to tell my Windows
box what login and password to use when trying to access the
printer?

After this, I put this line in /etc/samba/smb/conf:
hosts allow 192.168.1.

And then started the service by typing:
service smb restart

Then, I went to my windows machine.  Eventually, it was able to see
the MYGROUP domain and under that I see the Linux computer and the
printer.  When you first tried to access the printer, windows prompted
me to set-up a driver for it, so I pointed windows to the Epson Stylus
Color 860 driver I had installed when I had the printer local to my
Windows machine.

Now, when I go to Network Neighborhood, I see the printer but when I
go to its properties, it says Access denied, unable to connect.

I looked at the mailing list archives, but the only thing I could
find to do was to put "use client driver = yes" in the smb.conf
file.  But, when I did that, I got an error message in the log
file that it was an unknown configuration directive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
	Neil.

--