workgroups not recognized in virtual server conf files

D. Joe Anderson deejoe at iastate.edu
Thu Dec 6 15:50:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

The documentation I've read indicates that I should be able to get Samba to
honor the value of the 'workgroup' variable as set from within an included
virtual server configuration file.

Given the configuration files below, if I comment out the

  "workgroup = testwg"

line from the main configuration file (smb.conf), then a query of
the Samba server (with "smbclient -L test4 -U%") shows the server as being
in the WORKGROUP workgroup, rather than the TESTWG workgroup that I specify
in conf.test4.  The server still responds, however, to the TEST4 netbios
name as specified in the included conf.test4 file.

The only thing I can see that might be amiss is the line

   Can't find include file /etc/samba/conf.

When I run smbclient.

I would appreciate any pointers as to how I might get the workgroup setting
within the included file to be recognized.

--Joe

(If anyone is wondering why I bother with the 'netbios alias' line for just
one netbios name, I tried this with three netbios aliases, expecting it to
Just Work.  This is a simplified example.  If we can get this to work, I'll
work my way back up ;-)

$uname -a
Linux xxx.xxx.iastate.edu 2.2.19-7.0.1 #1 Tue Apr 10 00:55:03 EDT 2001
i686 unknown

# rpm -q samba
samba-2.2.2-20011013

# cat smb.conf