windows desktop redirection -> samba has problems

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Dec 6 14:18:02 GMT 2001

Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

> thanks, you guys rock.
>
> but listen, we run aix 4.3.3. and id prefer to stay with that for now, and
> move to linux in the next year or so. if i upgrade samba on aix from 1.9
> to 2.2.2, will the directory notification work? or is it only supported on
> linux 2.4 or better? i hope thats not the case. if we have to move all our
> filesystems to linux just to get this desktop redirect to work, then it
> might not be worth it. but then again, weve got to do it someday anyway,
> right? sigh....i feel a long weekend coming on....

The directory notifiction stuff works under any unix.

However, the only way to do it under most unicies is to repeatidly ask
for the contents of the directory.  Unfortunetly this means that we
might return stale data for up to 30 seconds (I think thats the default,
becouse we don't want to do that in an infinite loop).  That is, we
would not notify the client of a change.

Under the Linux 2.4 kernel, the kernel tells us if the directory has
changes, so the data sent to the client is always accurate.

So, try out 2.2.2 on your current setup, and only if that proves
proplomatic consider the drastic action of ditching your OS.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net