Samba problems

Marco Antonio Rojano Gonzalez mrojano at diconsa.gob.mx
Thu Dec 6 10:34:18 GMT 2001

Mr. Lewis

Excuse me, I write from Mexico I  have a question and could yoy help me, please??:

I have a samba  (v .2.2.0)  installed on sun unix server with solaris 7 called dico_samba (IP address 200.20.301.20; for example). And other server with Samba (v. 1.9.17p3).  My clients are: computers with Win95 and Win2000. The problems are:

1) With Samba v. 1.9.17p3 and  Win2000 client , ran the fix in the register:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkStation\Parameters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

This tip works, I can connect my Win200 clients with Server IP adress , but I don´t with Server Name, I checked my dns and other name configuration of my Win200 client and works with other applications very well, the problem is Samba because I only can connect thought the IP addrees. What´s the conflict???

2)  With Samba 2.2.0

Win2000 Client: The same case of point 1, I can connect throught IP address of Server, but don´t with Server Name

Win95 client: when I try to connect with Server , Windows displays the error: "The password is incorrect, try again", and it doesn´t permit me to access the share resource in Server. However in Unix , I try to connect with smbclient command to share resource and it´s succesfully, inclusively from others Unix Servers.

What's the problem?? why Unix yes and Windows No??

With Samba v. 1.9.17p3, my Win95 clients connect very well, with Server Name, no problems, but with Samba 2.2.0 is a disaster

I read the DIAGNOSIS.txt , but I dónt found the solution

Excuse for my questions and I hope that you can give some ideas about this

Thanks a lot

Marco