How do you guys protect Samba shares from Win32 based viruses?

Jon Gerdes GERDESJ at whl.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 09:08:02 GMT 2001

Intercheck or icheckd is not an on access scanner when running on UNIX.  The way it works is that an Intercheck client sends files to the Intercheck server for scanning. The client could be an NT/2000/9x etc PC.  The server could be another NT PC or server, NetWare, Unix etc etc.  There is no Intercheck client for Unix (yet).

However I believe there is something called "samba-vscan" which is part of the Open Anti Virus Project which is an OD scanner for Samba shares.  Have a look on Sourceforge for details.

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

>>> Chris Tooley <ctooley at amoa.org> 06/12/2001 16:33:04 >>>
Sophos appears to make an actually on access scanning engine for UNIX.
Something I've not seen from any of the other vendors.  I have not used
it nor do I know anything about it other than what I read on the
sophos.com website.

At the moment I just have scanning on the Client side, and I run a cron
job to scan the linux box via uvscan that comes with McAfee Active Virus
Defense.  It's just an on-demand scanner, but I run it on the areas
people touch every 3 hours or so.  I know that's not good enough but I'm
guessing it's better than nothing.

Chris Tooley